Friday, January 14, 2011

Foto Friday: Normandy, France

One of the most memorable and moving places our family has visited has to be Normandy, France.  Both my husband and I love history, and to be able to share this passion with our children, and show them a place so important to world history was amazing.

These two photos are some of my favorites.  They aren't of the most sweeping sea views, beautiful monuments, or military relics.  They are two simple headstones.  One is from a German Military Cemetery, the other from the American Military Cemetery at Omaha Beach.

While I admit I'm not a very good photographer, I wanted to share them.

The first one is from the German Cemetery.  It is actually a dual headstone.  Private Erwin Kaminski, who was 19, is buried here.  The bottom inscription reads "Ein Deutscher Soldat", this translates to "A German Solider".  The second man laid to rest here is unknown.




The second photo is from the American Military Cemetery at Omaha Beach.  The inscription reads, " Here rests in Honored Glory a Comrade in Arms Known but to God."  This is a grave marker for one of the American's unknown soldiers.

What made these two photos so memorable to me, was the fact that they were so much alike despite the fact that they came from opposing sides in the conflict.

No comments: